The Houston Bar Association (HBA) will be honored by the American Bar Association (ABA) on February 17 for Outstanding Law Day Activities in 2013 (press releases here and here).Law Day, May 1, is not a federal holiday, but is a day established by 36 U.S.C. §113 to recognize the role of law in a free society.
The Outstanding Activities that earned the HBA this honor included:
- A “Day at the Courthouse” event, where 45 special needs students from local schools received a courthouse tour thanks to Fourteenth Court of Appeals Chief Justice Kem Thompson Frost, and watched a reenactment of the argument of Brown v. Board of Education followed by an explanation of the case by Texas Supreme Court Justice Eva Guzman.
- Readings of law-themed books to elementary school students from over 100 schools.
- Poster, essay and photograph contests open to students from Houston area elementary, middle and high schools.
- Poster workshops for children in low-income areas of Houston.
- Dialogues on freedom between attorney-judge teams and local high school seniors.
- Creation of Law Day education and legal resource packets for every Harris County district and county court.
- Fielding 263 questions from callers during a Law Day Legal Line program.